This is a public Forum  publicRSS

Forum post

Andrew
    Running FMPro v11 on Windows 7 64-bit - can I share a file...
    Forum post posted March 26, 2010 by Andrew , last edited February 9, 2012
    1845 Views, 6 Comments
    Title:
    Running FMPro v11 on Windows 7 64-bit - can I share a file over the local network?
    Can i share a database using FMProv11 Windows 7 Professional 64-bit over a local network? I have tried unsuccesfully as a host and as a client. I have tried to open a database (being hosted locally on FMPro v11 on a Win7 Pro 32-bit laptop) as a client from my open remote favorites but while I can see the laptop name/IP address, I cannot see any files even though they are shared for all users on the host. Any suggestions on how I can share a file using a 64-bit machine either as a host or client?

Answer

• Steve Wright

I have no problems with sharing from Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Clients can connect using Mac OSX, Windows Vista 64, Windows 7 x32 and Windows XP..

Did you install bonjour when / if prompted ?

Can you open the hosted database by typing this into internet explorer ?

fmp7://youripaddress/yourfilename       i.e   fmp7://192.168.1.1/solution

Do you have any firewall software which could be blocking access ?

• Andrew

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate it.

No, I can't access fmp7://192.168.0.196/temp/test.fp7 although I verified that it is a new file/database in that folder. I also tried fmp7://192.168.0.196/test.fp7 and without the fp7 extension.

I did install Bonjour initially. To try to make sure it doublclicked on the 64-bit setup again and  ran repair and it said it was fine. When I go to the Unstall in Win7 Control Panel to make sure it's there, it is and is 3.25MB.

I tried turning off Norton Internet Service Firewall and Microsoft firewall but that didn't seem to help.

I have 3 computers. When I run a database on my 32 bit win7 Pro laptop, I can share it on my Macbook. The Macbook does not see any databases running on my 64-bit Win7 Professional PC though. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. For example, should Bonjour be a service that is running in the control panel? Does it make a difference that my C: drive on my PC doesnt allow any files added to the root C: drive except as an admin?

• Andrew

I forgot to mention that I get an error window when I open the file from my Win7 Prof 64-bit PC saying something like the file cannot be shared as it is already being shared by someone on your computer. I had asked FMPro Tech Support about this and they said that is normal as the file is being hosted and opened from the same computer which didn't really make sense to me. They also asked me to do a netstat from a cmd window opened as administrator to see if anything was sharing a certain port already (I think it was something like port 5503 but I can't remember as there did not seem to be anything using that port already anyway). 

Also, these database files were created from upgraded FMPro V5 files so I also created test database file for testing from scratch using FMPro V11. 

I would hate to have to also install a retail copy of Wiin7 Pro 32-bit to run on my machine as a dual boot as I would have to backup my existing O/S to maintain the warranty as well as possibly have to purchase redundant application licenses, etc.

• Steve Wright

Andrew wrote:

I forgot to mention that I get an error window when I open the file from my Win7 Prof 64-bit PC saying something like the file cannot be shared as it is already being shared by someone on your computer. I had asked FMPro Tech Support about this and they said that is normal as the file is being hosted and opened from the same computer which didn't really make sense to me. 

Unless you are using Filemaker Server, in which case I may be wrong in saying that I disagree with Tech Support.

If there's no problem and sharing is working ok, then you should never see such a message.. its not normal.

After all... you have to open the file to share it (peer to peer wise)

Unfortunately, I dont have enough experience with network sharing issues in version 11 yet...

Most of the problems from V10 and earlier which produced that message where down to corrupt certificate files or having both IPV4 and IPV6 enabled, however FM11 supports IPV6 so this shouldn't be an issue any more and I'm sure the certificate problem is a thing of the past too.

Since I love to break things :-)  Ill experiment a little over the weekend and see if I can figure anything out which may be causing the issue.

One thing to try, if it applies is to disable sharing on any earlier versions of Filemaker you may have installed

• Andrew

I had previously uninstalled all previous versions of FMpro before installing FMProV11 Advanced upgrade (I don't use the server version of FMPro). 

On thing which I doubt matters but I can try to uninstall just in case is that once I did install a VirtualPC on this machine and installed FMPro on it. 

I appreciate your help.

• DavidSan

Hi!

I have the same issue describe in this post but I have not seen any answer. Is there a solution for this issue?