This is a public Forum  publicRSS

Forum post

gregzzzz
    Error message: "Filemaker cannot share files because...Answered
    Forum post posted September 15, 2009 by gregzzzz, last edited February 9, 2012 
    10502 Views, 32 Comments
    Title:
    Error message: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing...."
    I had been sharing my filemaker pro database, using FM9, with several computers over our network.  I shut down the database, as I do periodically, to do a backup, but when I restarted the database, I got the error message: "Filemaker cannot share files because another user is already sharing files using Filemaker Pro on this computer".  I shut everything down and restarted the computer, but I still get the message.  There is only one user on this computer, and no other files are being shared using Filemaker.  Does anybody have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you very much,

Greg 

Best Answer

Steve Wright

There are also 2 other possible causes for this issue

1. a corrupt certificate file,  I now provide links to download these files to my clients as required

server.pem and root.pem in the Filemaker folder Im not sure im allowed to post links to files on here so have sent you a private message with the files

2. Under networking connection options (right click on network adapter and choose properties) turn off TCP/IP Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) leave V4 enabled

I have come across this situation a lot, and one or both of the above has worked every time.

I have never cleared any temp files as posted above

Answer

• TSGal

gregzzzz:

Thank you for your post.

This is an issue that we have been unable to duplicate in house, but we know it exists.  This has predominantly occurred on Windows OS.  A couple of users were able to run msconfig and remove temporary files and it has worked.  Some users have given up and reinstalled the OS and FileMaker Pro.  If you are able to find the cause, please let us know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• gregzzzz

Thanks for addressing my problem.  Do you have any more details about removing the temporary files?  I ran msconfig, but can't find anything that mentions temporary files.  It's a very frustrating problem.  Right now I'm sharing our Filemaker database using a different machine, as a temporary workaround.  It's interesting, because I had the same problem a couple of months ago, and it mysteriously fixed itself.  I'm not sure what I did that made it work again.  I just came in one day, and it worked.  So, I've been hoping the same thing would happen.  Anyway, any additional information you can provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg

• TSGal

gregzzzz:

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, run "msconfig" and disable those non-Microsoft services and reboot.

After reboot, go into Windows Control Panel, double-click the Folder Options, and under the View tab, under Hidden Files and folders, click "Show hidden files and folders".  Close Control Panel.

Next, open your hard drive, open the folder "Documents and Settings", open your user account folder, open the hidden folder "Local Settings", open the Temp folder and remove any unnecessary temp files.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• Steve Wright

There are also 2 other possible causes for this issue

1. a corrupt certificate file,  I now provide links to download these files to my clients as required

server.pem and root.pem in the Filemaker folder Im not sure im allowed to post links to files on here so have sent you a private message with the files

2. Under networking connection options (right click on network adapter and choose properties) turn off TCP/IP Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) leave V4 enabled

I have come across this situation a lot, and one or both of the above has worked every time.

I have never cleared any temp files as posted above

• hakage

If you're on Mac, this might be helpful to you.

File > Manage > Accounts and Privileges > Click on [User] w/ Full Access > Edit.

Edit Account Screen: Privilege Set: [Full Access] > Edit > Uncheck everything in Extended Privileges.

• gregzzzz
      WOO HOO!  Thank you all for your responses.  I'm finally able to share files again.  I first tried to running msconfig and deleting temp files, but I was unsuccessful.  Next I tried turning off TCP/IP version 6 as recommended by SW, and the problem was solved.  This problem has been driving me crazy for weeks, so this is a big relief.  Thanks again to everyone, especially SW.  You Rock!
    • Steve Wright
      Happy to help, it took me a while to figure the TCP/IP setting, I dont think this is an issue in FM10
    • bobpoly

Hi SW and others,

I have the same issue using FM Pro V9 on Windows 2003 server.  I have tried stopping all NON Microsoft Services and clearing the temp files, no luck.  Unfortuantly I dont have TCPIP V6 enabled, within network properties i have just "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" (It's not listed as eitherV4 or V6)  Any other suggestions to fix this problem?  greatly appreciate any help.

• TSGal

bobpoly:

If you are using Windows 2003 and it is not specifying a version, then you are using IPv4.  Another way to check is to run command line (cmd) and enter "ipconfig".  If it shows a normal IP Address, then you have IPv4.

Are you using any external file references?  Or, are all database files local?

Do you have FileMaker Server installed on the same machine?

Anything else you can tell us about your system may be helpful. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• Jeff Murphy

I am experiencing this same issue on FM10 Pro Advanced. I just installed Windows 7 OS onto my computer. I did a clean install of Windows 7, then installed Filemaker Pro 10. I get this error as soon as I open a 2nd database in Filemaker.

I turned off the TCP/IP v6, but I still encounter the problem.

(While running Windows Vista w/FM10 I did not encounter these problems).

On a separate, but perhaps connected issue, I am unable to open a database from my Filemaker server. I click open remote, it shows me the server, but there are no databases listed. I was going to search that problem next. I am able to open it on other non-Windows 7 computer (both Mac and PC).

I am running Filemaker Pro Advanced 10v3.