This is a public Forum  publicRSS

Forum post

HugoLidia
    How to change size of layout pageAnswered
    Forum post posted December 2, 2009 by HugoLidia, last edited February 9, 2012 
    2868 Views, 10 Comments
    Title:
    How to change size of layout page
    Is there a minimum size for the page.  I have removed the header and footer and moved the bottom of the page as far up as the system will allow my mouse to drag it, but it is still about 25mm too large for the user screen, so needlessly shows a scroll bar on the right of the layout screen.  I also don't seem to be able to name the page layout as an object and maybe that way change its size.

Any ideas anyone?

Best Answer

PhilModJunk

HugoLidia wrote:

But as I said, I have removed the header and footer and only have the body left.  If I click on this and hold the button down I see sizes displayed in the object info box , but as soon as I let go of the depressed mouse button the info box sizes all go to zero,  So effectively I cannot enter the info box to set the values manually

Even though the dimensions disappear, you can still enter a height in the height box and the layout will attempt to resize to the specified height when you click into one of the other boxes in the palette. I say "attempt" because the objects present on the layout will keep the part size from being set to any height less than the bottom of the lowest object in the layout.

Answer

• PhilModJunk
      You can select each layout part (click the header, body, part labels and then use the Object Info palette to set a size.) You can also click on a part label and press the delete key to delete the entire part.
    • HugoLidia

But as I said, I have removed the header and footer and only have the body left.  If I click on this and hold the button down I see sizes displayed in the object info box , but as soon as I let go of the depressed mouse button the info box sizes all go to zero,  So effectively I cannot enter the info box to set the values manually

• Sorbsbuster

I'm fascinated - why would you want to do this?

And are you trying to completely remove the scrollbar from last few mm of right-side window?  My understanding was the scroll bar was always there, and always locked to the rhs, but was simply grayed out if the window didn't require scrolling.

• HugoLidia

Sorry, just discovered I had a sqaure object on the page that was transparent.  The bottom of this object extended below the tab control panel and was stopping the mouse from moving the bottom of the page up any higher.

However,it is still true that the info box relating to the page cannot be edited.

• HugoLidia
      Yes I agree teh scroll bar is there by default and is normally greyed out,  It is simply that if a scrol bar is showing Users think there must be something else to see that is just off the currently visible portion of the page on screen, when in our case at the moment there is nothing to see.
    • PhilModJunk

HugoLidia wrote:

Even though the dimensions disappear, you can still enter a height in the height box and the layout will attempt to resize to the specified height when you click into one of the other boxes in the palette. I say "attempt" because the objects present on the layout will keep the part size from being set to any height less than the bottom of the lowest object in the layout.
    • HugoLidia

Sorry, on this I beg to differ.  The info box is greyed out and clicking or double clicking does not get the cursor positioned so one can enter a value.  I manually made the page much bigger with the mouse, and tried going into the info box, but no joy.

Not to worry,  Page is now sized correctly, thanks for input.

• PhilModJunk

I just did this on one of my layouts:

Enter layout mode (this was a layout with just one part--the body)

Click the Body label to select this part

Enter a size in the bottom text box (the height box--which is the only one valid for a layout part)

Click in any other box in the palette and the body part resizes

Using FMP 10.03 Adv on Windows XP, SP3

• HugoLidia

Just created a new database, in layout mode, deleted header and footer.  These can be edited, but the body nope - all greyed out.

Opened a new template database ( Time Cards) entered layout mode for record, clicked on page, again all greyed out.  When I depress ,ouse button I can see the values are set as 11, 534,11,534,0,0.  I can select any other object on the page and these CAN be edited.

Curious or just annoying.  Is there some other parameter that needs setting?

• HugoLidia

Ooops - The penny has dropped.

I have been clicking on the page area itself.  Just found by error what you mean PhilModJunk, I should be clicking on the body label, then the bottom two boxes for height and width can be manually entered to resize the page.

Thanks - got there in the end.  This is a perfect example of where if it can be demonstrated visually, it would be clear to all, but when discussing via a forum can be difficult to be sure we both are talking about the same thing.

Thanks for you input once again.