Summary:
    APPCRASH (.dll)
    Product:
    FileMaker Pro
    Version:
    Operating system version:
    Windows 7
    Description of the issue:
    Ever since we upgraded to FM12 users are experiencing crashing of Filemaker. I cannot isolate the issue, it happens about half of the time.. Sometimes users are idle, sometimes they are running scripts, sometimes they just (tried to) closed the program.

When prompted with the first "FileMaker Pro Advanced has stopped working" error, I force close the program and a second crash happens.
    Steps to reproduce the problem:
    I have specific error information, but I don't know how to fix the issue from here.
    Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
    1st crash (specifically, when I just closed a database) :
    Problem Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
    Application Version: 12.0.3.328
    Fault Module Name: ViewSystem.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0001b146
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

2nd crash (I've just Closed the program via the first crash dialog box) :
    Problem Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe
    Application Version: 12.0.3.328
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18205
    Exception Code: c0150010
    Exception Offset: 0008482b
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
    Configuration information:
    Connecting to FileMaker Server 12 (v12.0.4.405)
    FileMaker Pro 12 Advanced and FileMaker Pro 12 (v12.03)
    Workaround:
    Reinitiate FileMaker every time it crashes.
    Screenshot:

Best Answer

Tomas Dohnal

Jessica, If you can repeat the crash again, install Debugging Tools for Windows and open Filemaker exe in it. Here is installation guide. http://www.sysads.co.uk/2012/05/installing-and-configuring-windbg-windows-debug-tools%E2%80%8F/

Firstly, open Windbg and go to File>Open executable ... search for Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe or Filemaker Pro.exe in your C:/Program files/Filemaker. Then you have to press F5 (Debug>Go) in Windbg until Debug>Go item is disabled. After that you can do actions in Filemaker and when the error occurs, switch to Windbg again (not closing filemaker) and look what errors are logged in window...

The log won't be detailed as we need, because Filemaker debugging symbols are not publicly available, but it can be more specific than Windows error message.

Answer

• PhilModJunk

To maintain continuity, here is the link to earlier reports that refer to this DLL crash:

http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/90f82c08bf

• Jessica Reitz

PhilModJunk, In that thread, you specifically said that we should create a new thread.

Your exact words read "This thread is over a year old. Posts to it no longer cause the thread to pop up in Recent Items. I suggest that you start a new thread describing your specific version, OS etc plus a detailed description of the problem." I did just that - you own suggestion. To maintain continuity I posted a link to this thread.

Please advise.

• PhilModJunk

Yep. I'm just helping out by providing a link to the original thread so that any TS person that opens this thread can easily find the original reports to see if any info contained in it is valid.

• Tomas Dohnal

Jessica, If you can repeat the crash again, install Debugging Tools for Windows and open Filemaker exe in it. Here is installation guide. http://www.sysads.co.uk/2012/05/installing-and-configuring-windbg-windows-debug-tools%E2%80%8F/

Firstly, open Windbg and go to File>Open executable ... search for Filemaker Pro Advanced.exe or Filemaker Pro.exe in your C:/Program files/Filemaker. Then you have to press F5 (Debug>Go) in Windbg until Debug>Go item is disabled. After that you can do actions in Filemaker and when the error occurs, switch to Windbg again (not closing filemaker) and look what errors are logged in window...

The log won't be detailed as we need, because Filemaker debugging symbols are not publicly available, but it can be more specific than Windows error message.

• Jessica Reitz

Thank You for the detailed instructions, I will do my best to get the necessary log.

• Jessica Reitz

For the record, I'm not getting reports from users that this is happening anymore.