This is a public Bug Report  publicRSS

Issue report

The maximum number of licensed users are currently using...Answered
    Issue report posted March 25, 2012 by 2b3 Productions (Ian S) , last edited March 27, 2012
    680 Views, 7 Comments
    Summary:
    The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.
    Product:
    FileMaker Pro
    Version:
    Operating system version:
    Mac OS X 10.7.3
    Description of the issue:
    Filemaker quits thinking that there is a license conflict. However, it is a conflict with the same machine. This is the only copy of FMPA on the local network.
    Steps to reproduce the problem:
    Run the program.
    Expected result:
    To work without quitting.
    Actual result:
    Gives the error that there is a license conflict with a named user, which happens to be the same computer that FMPA is running. It seems like it is conflicting with itself.
    Exact text of any error message(s) that appear:
    "The maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro. Please refer to the License Key section of your software documentation for further instructions.
    License Key conflict occurred with user “___.
    All files will be closed and the application will quit."
    Configuration information:
    Booting into Lion and running in Lion 10.7.3 from external drive.
    Main drive still has Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
    Workaround:
    None.

Best Answer

PhilModJunk

The program quits when I try to go into manage Database relationships (tables/fields).

Hmm, that can attempt to open the file of an external table. That might point the finger at a specific hosted file that is part of your system. If you have any external data sources, you may want to take a closer look at those files. Are they hosted on the same server? Are they hosted by Filemaker server or FileMaker Pro?

Answer

• PhilModJunk

Keep in mind that user names are set in preferences and it's entirely possible for two computers on your network to have the same user name--this might explain why you appear to have a situation where there seems to be a conflict between a computer and itself.

• 2b3 Productions (Ian S)

Thank you, Phil, but there's only two computers on the local network, and both have different names.

• TSTuatara

Ian S,

Thank you for the post.

There is more than one reason FileMaker Pro will display this particular message. One is that there is an actual conflict, as PhilModJunk notes.  Is it possible that there is another user account on that Mac that is still running FileMaker Pro? 

Another possibility is related to the opening of the database shared with Instant Web Publishing.  Have you been using this feature at all?

It is also possible that User preference files that may have been corrupted. If you have eliminated the other possibilities, you can delete this file and recreate it.  

I found this reference in Apple.com/discussions on how to locate your user/Library on Lion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3593506

Once there, open the Preferences folder, and look for the "com.filemaker…plist" files, and drag them to the desktop.

Once you re-launch FileMaker, this file will be recreated.  You will find that you will have to reset any preferences you've set in FileMaker again, so check your settings in FileMaker/Preferences prior to using this troubleshooting step.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

Thank you, TsTuatara. I tried the suggestion, but it didn't seem to matter. The program quits when I try to go into manage Database relationships (tables/fields).

• TSTuatara

Ian S,

It sounds as though the issue has changed.  Are you able to open "File>Manange>Database..." and FileMaker Pro quits unexpectedly when you click on one of the tabs (tables/fields), or does the quit happen when you attempt to add/change or delete a field?

Is the original License Key message still appearing?  At what point?

Where are the files relative to the FileMaker Pro installation?  

Whatever you can fill in as to what has changed will help in pinning this down.

thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• PhilModJunk

The program quits when I try to go into manage Database relationships (tables/fields).

Hmm, that can attempt to open the file of an external table. That might point the finger at a specific hosted file that is part of your system. If you have any external data sources, you may want to take a closer look at those files. Are they hosted on the same server? Are they hosted by Filemaker server or FileMaker Pro?

You're good, Phil. Right on the money. Laughing

Apparently, a recent upgrade (from SL to Lion servers) required a domain name change in our school's setup, so now there are two different domains being used to reference external files. It just so happens that Filemaker Server is the same server with new name, but the database files were using the older domain alias. That said, it looks like FS thought my remote requests were coming from two different sources when in reality it was the same source. 

RESOLUTION: Resolve all the external references to the ONE domain alias.

Thank you so much!