This is a public Forum  publicRSS

Forum post

northshots
    Transferring Data into a Checkbox SetAnswered
    Forum post posted April 14, 2009 by northshots, last edited February 9, 2012 
    537 Views, 2 Comments
    Title:
    Transferring Data into a Checkbox Set
    Hello, I'm new to FileMaker and I'm just trying to get my head around one or two things whilst importing data from an Excel spreadsheet.

On the spreadsheet were four columns specifying which mailing list a contact was subscribed to.  A "1" was entered into the appropriate field to indicate that a contact was subscribed to a particular mailing list.  In my new FileMaker database a Checkbox Set seems to be a much better way of holding this data, however I currently have the imported data in separate fields which I somehow need to transfer into my new Checkbox Set which has the option of the four mailing lists.

The problem is I have over 3000 subscribers and don't really relish the thought of having to click a checkbox for each one.  Is there some way (perhaps a script?) that I specify that if a field has a "1" in it then a checkbox should be checked? 

Sorry if I haven't made myself clear, please just ask! 

Best Answer

northshots

Thanks, that's great.  I was trying to transfer the data into a checkbox set with four values, however this way I've just made four fields each with a single value checkbox which seems to work just as well.  Thanks again. 

Answer

• PhilModJunk

You can use Replace Field Contents to fix this.

Let's assume that you want the text "subscribed" to show next to a checkbox in your field and let's call this field "Subscription" and it's in a table called "Imported".

Let's further assume that your field with a 1 in it is in the same table and named "SubNumber".

Select a layout that displays the records from your imported table and your Subscription field. Don't format it as a check box just yet.

Select Records | Show All Records

Click in the Subscription Field

Select Records | Replace Field Contents...

Click the "Replace with calculated result" radio button.

Enter the following calculation:

If(Imported::SubNumber = 1,"subscribed","" )

Click OK

Click Replace

Now format your field to be a check box field with the single value "Subscribed" and you are done.

• northshots

Thanks, that's great.  I was trying to transfer the data into a checkbox set with four values, however this way I've just made four fields each with a single value checkbox which seems to work just as well.  Thanks again.