This is a public Forum  publicRSS

Forum post

Bill Smith
    Unrelated Tables
    Forum post posted March 26, 2011 by Bill Smith, last edited February 9, 2012 
    1143 Views, 4 Comments
    Title:
    Unrelated Tables
    How can I show records on 2 unrelated tables on the same layout?

Thanks in advance,

BillR

Answer

• K|Z

without making the the tables related, i don't think its possible.

K|Z 

• PhilModJunk

Any time that I see "Unrelated tables" in the top header, I know that 99% of the time, the solution is to define a relationship between the two tables so that you don't have unrelated tables. Why would you have two unrelated tables here? Can you give an example of what you are trying to do here?

• LaRetta

A Cartesian Product operator (joining using the X) will relate all records in one table to all records in another table.  They 'become related' (as K|Z
       mentions) based upon only the fact that they exist.  But Phil is right in asking for more information just in case.

• WF7A

Okay, I'm in for an example that I'm currently working on:

I have two unrelated tables: JOB and WEBSITE. What I want is a small portal in JOB that will show website URLs (from WEBSITE::URL__lxt) inside a popover so when I click the URL in the portal it fires a script that opens the URL.

How would I set this up T.O.-wise? Connect the primary key field of each table in a Cartesian join?